Skip to main content

Compilation of Poetry

By Cara E. Ruegg


Here is a compilation of poetry I've written over the years, some when I was in the convent and some after I left. 

The poem below I wrote for a University assignment in the convent. It was around this time that I was struggling to let go of the thought of a child of my own. I was trying desperately to cling to the idea of my spiritual children since, as we know, all women are called to be mothers even those in the convent. The one thing that really hurt me though was the thought that while they were my spiritual children, I was not really known to them as a mother, which, though wholly natural, did hurt me. The life of a Sister requires you supernaturalize your love and, of course, with God's help you certainly can, but it is at times a great struggle when you still have a weak, human nature. 

A mother of the world. I kneel. The rain drips down the glass.
A mother of the world. Unknown.  The children outside laugh.

“Sister,” Johnny says, as he opens the door,
Brown curls, brown eyes, an elfish grin,
“Will you teach us tomorrow? Will you teach us next year?”

The door slams shut. Another year begins. 

The chapel, cold, damp. Rain still falling fast. 

A mother of the world, I am. There one year, gone the next. 
My hands, folded in prayer. They are soft and young
But soon they will be old.
Lines will carve a thousand stories into my skin.

I will not have just one or two, not five, not six, not twelve
But thousands, thousands of little souls to call my own
But still unknown
Unknown to them. 

Little Johnny was sad one day. His brown eyes wouldn’t dare
To look up at me when I asked, 
“What’s wrong?”
But when we went outside
Into a day that was dry and warm
I threw him the ball,
I asked him to play. 
He smiled. 

A mother of the world. I pray
For everyone that has or will or does exist
I press them all to my small heart
The lonely, the happy, the good and the bad
The homeless, imprisoned, the innocent, the evil
They are mine
Because they are His.

My eyes burn. I am tired. 
Papers still sit on my desk
But I am lost in prayer
Before Him
With Him

Today, I got word
Little Johnny is sick
He can’t speak
He can’t stand
He’s dying. 

I am a mother of the world. But I am here.
Little Johnny is in bed. He is quiet. 
I storm heaven. I beg my Spouse
Save Him!

But all is quiet. There is nothing.
I am alone. 
I am not with him.

The little card he wrote me
Is there on the pew.
“Thank you, Sister, for your prayers.
I wrote the seminary yesterday.
They did say ‘yes’, just like you said.
I promise, Sister, when I’m a priest
My first Mass will be for you.”

A mother of the world. A mother of this boy
Grown up.
A mother of little Johnny, lying in bed
The covers wrapped around him.
He gasps. Those hands, not yet blessed,
No oil on them yet. 
No chance to say that Mass.
He’s dying.

“I care too much, I know.
This little boy is not my own
Not like he is his mother’s
Or father’s
Or Yours, 
Oh, but God, I care so much
Still.”

The wind blows through the windows.
Rain falls upon me like blood from the hyssop.
I breathe in. I breathe out.
My lungs feel tight and swollen. 

I am a mother of the world.
I carry them all on my heart
Theirs burdens are my burdens
I stretch out my hands
To take their crosses

It is heavy. So heavy. 
But I am their mother
And I love them

I love little Johnny
Lying in his bed
Who is no longer little,
No longer that boy 
I had to remind a million times
“Be quiet. Listen.”
No longer the little boy
With freckles dancing on his nose
Who used to smile at me
When I came near
To check his work.

I love little Johnny,
Grown up
With that cassock
Folded in his drawers,
Waiting for him to recover,
To button up those buttons
And fasten the white collar.

But he doesn’t know
I’m the other mother
Sitting in the chapel
Praying, praying, praying,
Begging that God who has stolen
Both our hearts.

He doesn’t know that I know
That he is ill, that he is dying. 
He doesn’t know that I remember
The last day of Grade Five

He was standing on the cobblestones
Rubbing eyes that would not dry.
“I’m fine,” he told his buddies,
when they laughed at this boy
who was always so tough,
laughing and goofing and never caring
it seemed.

“What’s wrong?”
“Nothing.”
Muttered words. Heavy and hard.
“Nothing.”

“I don’t believe you.”
I knelt down,
Letting my habit touch
The hard stone
And hide it.

“I’ll miss you, Sister,
so much.”
Wet tears on red cheeks.
I wiped a single one and smiled.
“Do you think I’ll forget you?”
He shrugged.

“I’ll never forget you.”

A mother of the world. Remembering them all.
Caring, loving, gathering them into her arms,
And praying without their knowing.

“Dear God, 
In Your hands. In Your heart.
Your will be done, not mine, 
Not his, not his Mum’s or his Pa’s,
But Yours.”

The rain stopped its crying.
Sun shone through the window,
Touching my pale hands
That were not wet with my tears
And I knew. I knew.

He now knew in heaven. 


--------

The next poem is not directly related to me, more my thoughts on death and loss. I believe around this time my Morfa passed away. He had been suffering from alzheimer's. 


If I forget him
Will this pain cease?
If in my mind
His smile fades
And his laughter stops
Will my heart
Still remember
Will it still hurt?
If my fingers forget
Why they’re trembling
My eyes forget
Why they’re crying
And my feet forget
The grave beneath?
Will my heart
Stopping hurting
If the memories cease
And I no longer know
The name on the stone
Is my son’s?

-------

Sitting next to you
So close I can feel the warmth of your hands
I can feel the vibrations of you breathing
So close without touching

Do you miss me too?
Do you remember?

Right here, next to me
I could touch you
Hold your hand

But I forget the worlds
The lost memories that stand between us

They are there
These awful stonewalls
These taunting figures

Cracked glass
I peer into your image
I try to reach it 

I can’t.

My fingers bleed
Each time I try.

Please, don’t you remember?
Don’t you miss me too?

Sitting here beside you,
I pray for a smile,
A single glance

But I am dead to you
Buried beneath dirt
So far down my name has vanished.

You are right here
But you are not the same
You are not you

Am I me?

You cough, then look at me
Dead eyes meet mine
My face means nothing to you
You cannot recognize
The dimples, the freckles
The crooked nose

You cough; your gaze turns
And I sit here, facing the wall
Without you, beside you
So near and so far

------

This poem was written before leaving the convent. I was considering my students here.


Goodbye.
I cannot say it.
You should not know.
These words so bitter
Swallowed down a throat
That’s sore.

It’s a secret
My going
Hidden in the cracks
Can’t say it to anyone
Not even myself

The suitcase isn’t packed
Things lie in all the same places
Can I really do this?
This life I’ve known so long
What I left behind before
Is now foreign
These people that do not share my blood
I’ll miss them.

I watch you, sitting there
Freckles dancing on your nose
You do not think I’ll ever leave
You smile.

Goodbye
The words are silent
I cannot say them
You should not know

I’m supposed to disappear
Like I never was here
Another Sister to take my class
Dressed the same
Will you notice?

I take a breath
Listen to you talk
Telling me your little stories
Will you be mad if I keep silent?
Will it hurt more if I speak?

No one’s ever said goodbye
They’re just replaced
And nobody asks
Where they’ve gone

The students continue
As if nothing’s changed
This new Sister is nearly
Just the same

It seems a scandal to speak
To say ‘goodbye
I’m leaving
Don’t know where I’m going
Or if I’m making a mistake
Don’t know what I’m doing
If I’ll even really leave’

Goodbye 

Little one
I’ll miss you so much
You do not know
How much
And I can’t say
Can’t say a word
Can’t say
Goodbye

------

I put time on hold
But only in my little world
To go searching for God
See what He wills
Spoke farewell to loved ones
Packed up my old clothes
Got dressed as His bride
And lived this new life

Now, I sit and wonder
Was I wrong all along?
Were those who doubted
Really right
Can I give up it all?

But the world is not the same
Friends have married
People have changed
My world was on hold
But outside, everything has moved
Drifted and soared
Away.

And am I the same?
Will those friends I once laughed with
Will they still care?
Will I find their jokes funny
Their laughter so sweet?
Will their worldly air bore me
Now that I’ve spent so much time
Here?

I’ll have to start over
All over again
And I’m scared.


---

Ice cream and plastic cups
Sitting on your bed
And laughing

We were young
So very young
Too young to worry
About the world
What our futures held
It was so far away
Time could still wait then.

Can time wait now?
The clock keeps ticking
Numbers fly on by
Doesn’t seem so different
The world. Me. You.

But have we changed
Unnoticed?
Under our little noses
Are we really growing old?

Fingers race across the table
They dance and sway
And then they freeze

Are we wasting time
You and I
Staying young
As the world keeps moving?

I see no wrinkles on my face
No lines to tell a story
Don’t believe they’ll ever appear
You tell me do not worry.

The crossroads come closer
They stare at me with dark eyes
Can I stay in between them forever
Not choosing where my future lies?

Where will you go
And should I go there too?
What does God want
Can He be heard in the dark?

Hello?

You are not here with me
To help me decide
Long ago I left you
Far, far behind

Maybe you grew up
In the meantime
As I stayed young
And pretended time
Could not really move

Perhaps you have chosen
Your way
I would not know
You hardly write

I know it was my fault
I chose a road
You could not follow
Your health was poor
And mine was not
His bride to take
I thought I was.

But am I?

Before
A child of my own
I could give up
The excitement of something new
Something noble
Made me tread fearlessly on

But now I am here
And I wonder
Am I going the right way?

The path has become rugged
And I worry
I was never actually called

Stubborn as a mule
I kept going
Not turning around 
Even when the floods came
I said I could do this
I will do this
God is worth more than the pain
The sting of loneliness
The darkened clouds

But now I question
The other way
Have I been turning a deaf ear
To what He’s really been asking?

----

Some thoughts after leaving the convent, which show just some of my struggles.


I’ve left those cloistered walls
Those silent reveries
I’ve left the quick-lived laughter,
The calm simplicity

I’m in the world
The noise pulses through my fingers
Cars roar and music blasts
So many are talking, 
I can’t follow a line

The trees sway above me
Even here it is noisy
My thoughts are wandering
They cannot forget
All of the gossip
The silly conversations
Those stupid things
I would’ve found pointless
There.

I fall to my knees
I try to find silence
“Stop it, please stop it
Stupid little head.”

Dear God
In your presence
Amidst all this static
I kneel

My eyes have been staring
Too long at the computer
My feet have been walking
Too encircled to disappear.

Dear God
Can you still hear me
Am I still important
Even though I’ve left the habit
For this everyday outfit
Let my plain face be painted
Red lips and dark eyelashes

Do you still care
Even though I’ve gone back
To what I sacrificed before

Even though I let the plough fall
To the hard, dirt floor
And returned to that family
I had planned to leave forever?

I rest my forehead on your wounded feet
I dare not look up at your glowing face

Please, my dear God, please care
Please care as you care for your brides

I tried. 
Maybe not hard enough
Maybe not really
But I tried

I made the sacrifice for a bit
Maybe not long enough
Maybe not forever

It could be,
I failed
That I was meant
To carry on
To say ‘yes’
Instead of ‘no’

Oh, dear God, please
I beg of You
I want You
I need You

Please still care.

----
-----


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Saint Philomena Found me a Husband

By Cara E. Ruegg You often hear it said, “To Saint Philomena, God refuses nothing.” Saint John Vianney was the author of those words. He loved Philomena. Pauline Jaricot, another devotee of Philomena, who was alive during the Cure’s time and who was healed by Philomena herself, came to him one day with relics of this dear saint, and told him, “Have full confidence in this great saint; she will obtain for you all that you ask.”   John Vianney claims he felt a love enkindled in his heart for Philomena soon as he got hold of her relics. He often referred to her as his “dear little saint”, going so far as to blame all the miracles wrought through him, on her. In fact, when he was at death’s door and the doctors had given up all hope of his recovery, it was through the intercession of Philomena that he was miraculously cured. (www.philomena.org/vianney.asp) Despite all this, despite the fact so many saints and even popes have praised her to the skies, I never thought

St. Don Bosco's Discipline Methods

By: Cara E. Ruegg Saint John Bosco is known for his care for the youth. His methods were perhaps seen as “new age” during his time, even though he drew inspiration from those before him such as St. Francis de Sales. His methods clearly bore good fruit, however, despite scrutiny from others. Under his care arose a great saint: Dominic Savio. He likewise converted many who were seen as hopeless cases. Below I have summarized one of Don Bosco’s writings: The Preventative System . In it, he outlines his discipline methods that bore such good fruit. I feel it can be easily applied both to educators as well as parents. Corporal Punishment is Largely Ineffective   Don Bosco says, "With the young, punishment is everything that is meant as a punishment. Thus it is known that a reproachful look is more effective than a blow...To strike one in anyway...and other similar punishments should be absolutely avoided." (pg 3) Punishment Should be Administered Privately "Except in very

My Home Water Birth During a Snowstorm

By: Cara E. Ruegg You were four days late and I was anxious for your arrival. My last midwife appointment, I was told I was measuring two weeks ahead; it was implied maybe I had gestational diabetes after all but I had been monitoring my sugars with my glucometer, something I thought far more accurate anyway, and fasting and after meals was still normal even with dessert, so I don’t think it was that. The midwife suggested I consider an ultrasound to check your weight to see if we should do the hospital route. She said she was trained to handle shoulder dystocia even at home but would prefer more hands. I remembered with your brother how inaccurate that last ultrasound was, nearly two pounds off. I also later did research and found maternal outcomes were better when the woman didn’t know her child would be big. It made sense. Fear is the enemy of labour. I was told though if you came before the ultrasound, we’d just go ahead with the home birth, so I was now ready for you to come, wher